Thursday, June 17, 2010

a question of ...

education.
what happens when women completely covered in muslim apparel go to the bank or the airport and must present and confirm identification or are stopped by police? do they break with strict religion and lift the veil? or...how does it work? surely their husbands can't do it all - surely somewhere in the U.S. a fully covered muslim female has been faced with having to confirm her identity. gera asked and I honestly don't know the answer or enough about the custom(s)--even though many of my students (some I've known for a few years) wear the hijab---and quite stylishly. it's something I'd like to know too...if they lift the veil how does that break in tradition affect them, if at all...

4 comments:

Found art blog said...

Well, I know that not all Muslim wear a full face veil, so potentially it's not an issue for all of them. I also believe (as a non muslim, so correct me here!!) that according to custom, a fully veiled muslim woman cannot show her face to another male who is not her husband/father/brother. So, it would have to be a female security officer. That's my understanding, anyway.

grrl + dog said...

And they wear it

soooo stylishly!

Wish I knew too...

Don said...

Interesting question but the law was designed to restict the movement of veiled Muslim women- they will just stay at home now.

Jessicambay said...

I'm pretty sure that they can lift it in front of other women. And that you can request a female officer/TSA official/DMV worker if you need to. I may be wrong though...