Friday, February 5, 2010

andre gide



Reading the Immoralist was a ride. I have a better understanding of how artists like Matisse play an important role in modernist literature. While I was reading the story, I couldn't help but see another discipline outside liberal arts that would easily welcome Gide's work: Psychiatry. The male character, Michel is a precise basket case, with more male-tenacity than one can believe. I didn't know males were capable of fluctuating, showing sensitivity to hot and cold in an useful way, loving and then not--the water faucet effect, and other emotions that are usually associated with women. I loved him!! In fact the majority of my classmates did; there were a few who hated him for his contradicting nature and other unreliable behavioral stuff--probably his most notable cutting characteristic...his lies and deception where Marceline (his wife) is concerned. I wondered under my breath how much the few who dislike Michel might have to do with current recent current numerous events of male infidelity....? I dared not put my classmates on the spot in asking that question. Despite his selfishness, Michel does try....what do I mean by try...you'll have to read it for yourself if you haven't already.

photo taken by Gera in Oklahoma 10Jan.

2 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Haven't Gide, but having recently had quite the ride with a male person with extreme emotions which he venerated as some sort of personal religion, fiction is where THOSE PEOPLE belong.

Do I feel better for venting? Eh, time will tell.

rosedale's 4head said...

Susan, I LOVE THIS COMMENT!!!