Monday, May 25, 2009

work, sun, mi chistoso, no identity crisis by any stretch and a forthcoming mother's day

i wish i could post a picture of my shoulders and forehead...they're pretty burnt from last week's flea market 8.00 a to 6.00 p sell; we forgot our tent. i could have purchased a hat to cover myself, but i'm a little frugal these days...so i roughed it...

i'm just now on the healing end of a very very very very very bad sun burn: mainly forehead and nose. one of my co-workers (before i took a sick day or two afterwards and was...at this time...very red--indian red folks, seriously) said, "Forgive me for my ignorance, but I didn't know African-Americans could sun burn." Bless her heart (and i really didn't believe her disclaimer or her person to make it and anyone who is in the education industry should really know, by now 2009, Af-Am Hist--i mean really...light-skinned Af-Ams capable of sun burns is an old long drawn out overworked, boring overkill truth). i said (anyway) "when you're as light-skinned as an African-American as i am, you burn!" I said it as boiler plated, sapped out language.

on an honest note of curiosities...my hair a dead give-away...among other characteristics...against my skin can be quite confusing (i'm learning even for Hispanic culture ((who have legitimate reason to wonder)) who think i'm either puerto rican, brazilian, even i've been guessed at being dominican, and some other ians which I find a real, fresh opening)...I swore back in my dreadlock days, love but no regrets I'd never go straight again---ever---and embrace my nappiness an old post yikes!, but lately, the fight between my hair and the comb (the brush is more passive but can be likened to...the doctor in the movie Overboard...at times), makes me want to perm perm perm what i didn't do here. this is a little work with an a-natu'ral. but that's another story....anyway....tangents are what i teach my students not to do in their essays...luckily...i'm a good authority and rather safe here going away...against my own advice. anyway

the love of my life who, by now, in the years of our relationship knows what happens to my skin when I've been in the sun, uncovered for way too long (see again hours above)...it peels. well he decides (four days into my sun burn when my skin starts to peel and the discoloration is so obvious...a light beautiful brown peeling away to reveal a soft nutmeg-milky color) to laugh at my peeling skin and asks (on the cusp of a sun burn early morning wake up), looking not into my eyes, but directly (with those glistening green-gray eyes of his) at my forehead, in near perfect English, "Honey, you need tape?" and he smiles and touches my forehead...the image that came to my mind (too much cable t.v.) in this case was Nicole Kidman's Invasion--so not funny!

then a day to two later he grabbed my forehead closely and said, "Let me see this map"...in the latter, the only image that came to my mind (immediately) was "nikolai gorbatschov" remember him?

my skin is nearly healed and i'm almost back to normal...next Sunday, given no rain, we will not forget the tent nor will i forget my cachucha...my damn hat!

my daughter, so beautifully brown-brown, pine cone brown, never had to worry about this...it's a soul's deliverance how everything i don't have, she did....

i hope your weekend back to work, or not, or whatever your Tuesday is all about brings thoughtfulness...

7 comments:

Polly said...

I know how you feel! I burn badly. I wish I had nutmeg shade of skin so that I could just cover myself with sunscreen and not bother sunbathing at all

rosedale's 4 head said...

@Polly: Gera had some kind of sunscreen spray (probably a leftover product to sell from when he sister helped us), i tried it on my arms one time and felt way to sticky and greasy. i have no experience whatsoever with sunscreen--generally i've never needed it, but it may be something i need to purchase...the hat and tent is usually the best way to go...

then you know what it feels like to feel like a french fry ;)

ArtSparker said...

Be careful out there. Hope the flea market went well as far as sales, anyway.

grrl+dog said...

What a good read... nappy hair and sun burns and hats.. sounds like the day was worth it though..

rosedale's 4 head said...

@ArtSparker: i will next time. i know better but being cooped in an office tutoring English all day...the sunday is my majesty...but i'm armed with goodies for next Sunday sin rain...it's still raining here!...at...today...near 90 degrees....texas drama

@grrl: you so get it...peeling is almost over, but fun...the secret take: practicing Spanish on people who know little English...selling stuff worth more for way under then feeling gratitude...being outside and doing something i absolutely love....the money is not bad pocket change either...

Wildeve said...

Oh,the agony! do you have an aloe vera plant? I'm glad you had a fun day! And I can to relate the fun of peeling...
Neutrogena makes a dry-touch sunblock that doesn't feel greasy. I have to wear it in the beginning of the summer, then not- unless I'm at the beach where the light is reflected and magnified. (I can't deal with hats)

My boyfriend doesn't burn- he just turns a richer and darker brown. Sometimes when I have a tan, my arm is darker than his un-sunned belly...

rosedale's 4 head said...

@wildeve: : )