Tuesday, May 19, 2009

what happened to logic in 'all fairness'?


Gera and I went to Whole Foods yesterday because I wanted some fresh organic blueberries, a nice sized salmon fillet and tea tree oil for my hair. I bought three items for a total of $morethan30dollars. The blueberries I just couldn't see the reason, but you can best be sure we will savor every single berry. Usually I make a fruit salad, but not with these berries. We're going to eat them singly to get the full benefit of taste, dollar and all.

We weren't the only shoppers with just a few items. The price of organic products is sky high. My question is if the country promotes eating more healthy, why has organic products jumped so high in price? It keeps less fortunate people from eating better (hell, at times, I feel less fortunate in Whole Foods). How did eating organic become an expensive trend and why is it an expensive trend? Poor people need access to healthier eating and to be able to afford organic foods, but organic has become so specialized and even uppity. I just realized yesterday that only those who can afford to buy organic have the privilege to eat healthier.

Something is wrong: the prices of healthier foods have gone up and the price of fatty foods are cheaper. Wouldn't it make better sense to jack up the prices of fast foods--make the prices so high that this kind of eating would be challenging to the pocket book...lower healthy organic food prices so that people would have to buy better foods for cheaper? And anyway, isn't it cheaper to grow organic foods...what...with all the costs for pesticides?

But then, maybe it's a ploy to keep the medical industry booming...

We've got to either frequent the local farmer's markets from now on or I need to take a gardening class...even still, the blueberries were heaven and I don't think I'd be able to compete....

7 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Organic foods have always been higher, I think...The absolute best solution for lower-income people is community gardens, which require a time investment. Organic foods cost more, for one thing, because small farms don't get the enormous government subsidies that factory farms get. As well as the fact that it's cheaper to grow huge masses of stuff than small amounts. "Fast Food Nation" is a good book to read on the subject.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

I hope you have some good farmers' markets there - I found that at farmers markets organic produce can be had for reasonable prices.

I have always found the prices at whole foods very high, which unfortunately keeps me from going there as if I do go in I'm an easy mark and spend more than I can afford.

grrl+dog said...

uhuh.. I switched to the local farmers market and now I want to cook again..the food is so alive!

AND we have started out own tiny community garden on the patch of dirt outside our house. Planted herbs for the whole street. One kaffir lime tree supplies a whole villiage in Indonesia...

rosedale's 4 head said...

@thanks ladies for the insight. you'd think i would know this given i lived in Davis for 7+ years...but somehow it all just seems so unfair and another important part of human necessity that has become a trend to be sold...

organic is only for the elite...

this is how i feel....

will definitely frequent the farmers' markets a lot more this summer...

Found art blog said...

The thing with organic, as I understand, although it's cheaper to grow as in they don't spend money on presticides, the pests are then able to eat more of the produce, thus there's less to sell on to Customer.... but the farmer's outgoings are the same, if not higher (rent, gas, etc) so they have to raise THEIR prices on the produce to cover their costs. Basic Math unfortunately!

Wildeve said...

Another option is a local food co-op, where a group of like- minded people can buy in bulk and share the work of unloading and sorting the orders. I did that for a few years, but it doesn't work with fresh produce.
In my past career life, I worked as a nutrition counselor for the WIC program. I was frustrated by the limited foods provided in the program. I started a veggie garden on site- and later a community garden site and tried to work teaching participants to garden. It didn't really work out due to lack of support, though. :(
We used to get a great publication called "Nutrition Action" which tought me a lot about the state of agriculture in this country. Organic growers do have a tougher time financially.- and they do use organic "pesticides", which are more expensive than thee lethal chemicals used by other growers.

fuikhvgjkguug said...

a片手機看到飽
a片免費看看到飽
做愛a片直播網
a片下載網路電視
日本a片直播線上看
av女優手機看到飽
色情手機看到飽
18成人網站手機看到飽
視訊聊天室手機看到飽
情趣用品手機看到飽
a漫h漫手機看到飽
色情性愛光碟手機看到飽
sex手機看到飽
做愛手機看到飽
成人影城手機看到飽
情色貼圖手機看到飽
情色手機看到飽
色情網站手機看到飽
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.