Saturday, May 16, 2009

rose moss

...



Pictures borrowed from the Internet

This is one of the many flowers I remember most outside my great grandmother's house. She planted it--oddly--in the cracks of a cement walk-way that leads to her front door. Every year this flower bloomed without her having to replant it. It just simply showed up in mid to late spring, creating a bouquet of color we'd have to step around or walk over. It mostly blooms in warm humid, tropical-like weather. It's pretty tenacious and comes in a beautiful variety of colors. My favorite is the coral and deep oranges. My gr. grand tended to favor the reds and purples--the latter was sometimes a rare. The leaves are succulent--probably why rose moss blooms best in a humid climate. My Auntie pinches the dry leaves and puts them back into the soil. This may be why it comes back each year. I'm not sure.

I've had it before and it did well, but I've switched pots and uprooted plants, replanted plants, we've since taken out a huge dead tree stump I planted flowers in, including the rose moss---so I've had to purchase it again (unlike Dear), but I can't plant today. It's raining, yet again against a warm climate.

This is what Wiki had to say
Another Wiki take on Rose Moss

7 comments:

ArtSparker said...

How beautiful and sort of unlikely. I love that your aunt planted it in pavement cracks...giving nature a bit of help, heh.

grrl+dog said...

a guerilla gardener , perhaps?

Yoli said...

What a beautiful blog and what a beautiful soul you are.

notmassproduced said...

well i hope your fingers are greener than mine!

Wildeve said...

I love it- my grandmother used to plant it too. I have to get some this year!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

I always call these flowers portulaca, and didn't realize they have another name. and what a wonderful name 'rose moss"....one of my favorite flowers too, but up here in the northern climes they are annuals and they don't come up every year...at least not for me. but I always but them in....I find much comfort in these sweet flowers

Merisi said...

Thank you for the beautiful images and the information!

I decided to dig google further and found out that this plant is sometimes also called purslane and that it "has been classified in some areas as a noxious weed"! Never heard before about that.