Wednesday, May 6, 2009

letter from a seamstress II


One of my favorite things to do when I feel nostalgic for my past loved ones is look back...at more than just their photos. I love that my grandmother (Big) accomplished the dream of buying a home--on her own--job title: seamstress--a story I've told a trillion times, but keep telling and yet--she had little education. It shows in this beautiful letter written to my daughter when we were in California. Without us, she was never the same. But she sent a little money always so my daughter could buy a toy and a 'book'...I don't know why I find her use of "jirl" to mean "girl" so precious, an omnipotent endeavor.

I never knew her to write much, aside from paying bills and oh my! I never knew she would attempt to draw. But as indicated by the first lines, phrases...she loved my daughter so much, that just maybe it was a moment of feeling, emotion, impression, longing, connection...when she,too, was so severely nostalgic...

Mother's Day is around the corner...I feel so good, and BTW...there should be a Grandmother's Day too...someday I will tell her story...it's a doozer...thus, my new moniker

7 comments:

ArtSparker said...

A wonderful piece of personal history to have. My own father's mother was barely literate, had to support three kids working in hospital laundry.

willow said...

This letter is such a lovely treasure. Beautiful post.

lilaphase said...

Your love for each other is so evident throughout your blog - beautiful. I can't wait to hear the next story!

Polly said...

This letter is so beautiful. And guess what, in Poland we celebrate the Grandmother's Day on 21st January!

grrl+dog said...

well I was wondering about the new name.. I am a dog mother.. I know it does not count.

rosedale's 4 head said...

@ArtSparker: fascinating...

@Willow: the letter is one of my favorites...there's only a few

@lilaphase: my grandmother was my favorite of my great and great great...it's a tie between she and my Mom

@Polly: The U.S. needs to follow suit, but I think some of us make-up GDay...just because, they are such important figures

@grrl: hey! dog moms are important peops...your baby is your baby...

Wildeve said...

The letter is so precious. What a rich history to reflect on and bring forward into your life today. I want to hear the story of Rosedales's 4head.