Saturday, May 2, 2009

honeysuckle, nopalis, kids

...

Today, it rained and rained and rained in our part of northern Texas. Before this, the sweet aroma of yellow and white honeysuckle swelled through humidity, the warm air. Wisteria has come and nearly gone, already? I've taught the kids down the street and my five year old niece, Rubi, how to separate a suckle to find the purest of sweet juice. It wasn't long though before they lost interest. Too much precision involved, and the tiny little pinhead dot of juice after they pulled out the stem wasn't worth their focus.

A miniature deep velvety red rose bush Gera and I uprooted from the side of our house and replanted one Mother's Day (in honor of his mother and my daughter) is blooming with madness. It's been in its new place for ... 3 of the 5 years we've lived in our home and is a beautiful reminder. When the rain stops, I hope to plant my great grandmother's favorite: rose moss. It's so low maintenance and so beautiful in the variety of colors.

So, we're simply enjoying the rains and staying in. I'm finishing up some great books, red wine, Gera made nopalis with vegetables and a little red meat.

We've watched several old movies in Spanish. I even napped for an hour...could have went for two, but my mother came by to pick up some items I bought for her to list on her ebay store. God knows she's where I get my "easy to please" gene. She brought me fresh, near red-orange sweet potatoes. She's such a beautiful presence to encounter at any time.

Tomorrow, we're supposed to have yet more rain and more tornado watches, floods, and all that...and this will be good. I'm staying in to babysit my ever-so cute little 2month old nephew, Abis and his sister, my love, Rubi. This Wednesday I'll have Cierra, my sister's 7 month old. Looking forward to it. No shortage of babies, and the funny thing is after spending a day or two with any of them, I'm pooped. I've come to the realization that I'm grandmother material. I'm getting a good fill with the nieces and new nephew.

Our weekend has been peaceful and dreamy, I hope yours is lively and well...you probably have lots of sun wherever you are...

9 comments:

Tatieva said...

J'aime beaucoup le chèvrefeuille. J'en ai un. Mais je n'arrive pas à le rendre aussi beau que le tien, il attrape toujours le champignon.
C'est une jolie fleur qui sent trés bon, un délice pour notre nez !
Kisses from France,
Tatieva

ArtSparker said...

Maybe they will come back to appreciating honeysuckle. It is so magical. Raining here too, we need it, but not good photography weather. Happy rest of the weekend.

rosedale's 4 head said...

@Tatieva: yes, honeysuckle gives off a pungent odor of gardenia and is so pleasant to the nose.

I visited your site: wow! Provacative work.

Greetings from southern Tejas

@Susan: The kids were so funny. Tension span was short. They were more interested in running around the yard and talking...lots of talking.

I hope the weather clears up for you all soon...I already miss your little man on the street series.

Cheery Sunday...

grrl+dog said...

I am baskin in the precious morning sun of late autumn, days hwne you are glad of every minute cuz you know winter is here, maybe even this afternoon.

Strange how as a child I had the time to suck honeysuckle.. before the electronoc asge took our minds over, I guess.

Angella Lister said...

How lovely, what you say about your mother! I feel the peace and love in this post.

Wildeve said...

This post makes me want to purr with contentment. What a lovely weekend you had, because you made it so. Your words about your mother were truly special.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

texas definitely needs to the rain.... gotta recharge those aquifers!

such a joy to turn kids on to honeysuckle!

it is a sweet pleasure to be a fictive grandmother.... I love it!!!

rosedale's 4 head said...

@grrl: i'm jealous, but i know our sun is comer sooner than we hope...bake

still not much sun today...but we're coping

@Angella: my mother is a wonder...and peace is what i've had with her my entire life...someday i will write about her...she's a wonder for sure...

@Wild-eve: the funny thing i still do is simply pray...it's the same god i knew as a child without anyone telling me or teaching...it's an innate thing...and sometimes, i pray for a peaceful weekend and it happens...i never stop counting my blessings...never....

@Kimy, yes i tried to teach them apart of my childhood, of course, i haven't gotten to catching bees in jars or mud pies or listening for the whipoorwill...may not ever get to, like grrl says everything is about clicking, games and images...the computer, but i love it fictive grand, auntie and all...my own daughter would say, "that's fine ma, it's almost original" ; )

Wildeve said...

You are such an inspiration to me.
<3