Tuesday, April 7, 2009

a non-fiction day & night

...


Today was incredible-raw. Incredible because...first...I'm enrolled, signed up and ready to plunge...into...my first graduate class ever! Which....actually starts in June. Lovin it! The best news today was that I *will* teach developmental English courses in the Fall---learning this news broke my heart---I'm so happy.

Littlebig blessings unfold in unexpected ways.

And...fortunately, I will work with a great instructional crew....the peops I've worked with for five years now. A feel good day.

And then...

I went to work tonight at the library and we've always got some event going on...last week it was the Hat-titude even (a celebration of women, with an emphasis on hats)---lots of beautiful mature models with beautiful queen-like, birds-flying-like...hats. Tonight, there was a water color art exhibit...a piano...lemon cookies...and wine. I never went upstairs...no need to because the gallery winds down a grand stairwell into reference and periodicals--open--where, tonight, all librarians happily or normally worked around the event. Alas everyone was gone except an elderly couple who danced, but the pianist must have had to leave...the music stops, the laughter, the pouring of wine and spirits, the chatter---all gone.

Raw: a homeless guy who frequents the library every other day if not every. I've only worked there for 6 or 7 months and there are those you just know. Just as we were closing (I made the announcements in both English and Spanish)...the piano upstairs blares out like a million trills from only song birds...like nothing we had heard before when the party was in full force with drab, skippy, soft tunes. I immediately knew it was not the probable high paid pianist who played during the event. This was so different. I thought it was an employee with a secret gift other than a love for information and books...another librarian said "that's not the same"---and another merely said, "it's time to go; who's playing on the piano?" But I was taken away and I must say the former librarian was too. He ran upstairs following the latter to see the mystery music-genius. I of course had to wait, go get my purse, log off the desk computer and complete final loose ends of a work night.

The musician was Steve, one of our long time (before my time) homeless guys banging away...I was floored and it showed on my face. A different, prospective librarian student said, "Something is wrong with America."

I was moved like never before and really had to think about movies this has happened in. Still can't think of any because I'm still in awe. Maybe something *is* wrong with America or maybe Steve decided to give up a lot of something for a more simple, harsh-happy way of living...who knows. Today, reminded me that it's too bad I have to leave the ocean of information, a sea of stories. The lieless and the non-fiction oddities in time I will no longer experience.

11 comments:

Angella Lister said...

There's movie about to come out about this. I believe it's called The Soloist, and stars Jamie Foxx and Robert Downy Jr. It's true tale about a homeless man who is a musical genius, and the journalist who met him on the street and told his extraordinary story.

"Something is wrong with America." Or as you say, some homeless people choose that "harsh-happy" life. Could be the latter statement is evidence of the former.

Great post. Congrats on starting your grad program!

37paddington.blogspot.com

ArtSparker said...

You may be thinking also of "The Caveman's Valentine" with Samuel Jackson. Good film.

Congratulations on diving in!

Polly said...

Great post, I hope you enjoy your postgrad classes!

And this sounds like a wonderful experience. If there really is a film describing it, I'll definitely watch it.

lilaphase said...

Great post - amazing stories are occurring around us every day. Thanks for sharing one, or two!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

the stories that surround us! thank you for this post. namaste!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

the stories that surround us! thank you for this post. namaste!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

the stories that surround us! thank you for this post. namaste!

grrl+dog said...

what a story...
I volounteer with the boarding house project, people in half way houses that have no where else to go.. and thoier stories are all so poignant. Thay are the invisible ones... the women especially, in my eyes. That man has a rich vein of life running through him. Go listen to his story.

j. said...

lovely lovely post.

i am very grateful to read your words.

even if your words may not seem like much to you sometimes,
within them are your emotions and fears and experiences and hope and your willingness to share those things, even if they are sometimes unpleasant and painful, is something worthy of admiration and gratitude.
so, thank you.

Wildeve said...

You never know who the people around you really are. We make certain assumptions, based on outward appearance- and then... the assumptions get blown out of the water. I often remind myself, "You never know who you're talking to."

A most lovely and moving post.

Nabeel said...

This somehow faintly reminds me of the "Aztecs" If you remove the smile from the sun, it will then definitely remind me of the aztecs