Sunday, April 12, 2009

my easter love

Today, Easter Sunday, Gera and I spent half of it doing our thing. We slept in, ate fried eggs on fresh made tostados with salsa, cream, fresco cheese, jasmin rice, and refried beans. I felt slightly domestic and made a fantastic citrus salad. Not my concoction. A week ago, I sat in Barnes&Noble to pass time, and I literally copied this fabulous recipe from a great magazine. Of late, I'm too frugal to buy magazines.

2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tsp honey
1 minced zest of lime
Kosher salt---to taste
3 cups fresh ruby red grapefruit wedges, peeled
3 cups fresh orange wedges, peeled
(If you want to save time, use canned, but be sure to drain)
2 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil and sprigs
____________

Whisk lime juice
Olive oil honey salt and lime zest
Combine citrus segments
Toss with juice
Serve with basil and sprigs

Yeah, we were full...at least until late-late afternoon.

Then, we went to see my precious little sky, my vida...my Ruby.

She was so happy and was late getting a start for Easter day...too. But I told her, "Esta bien Mami. El conejo esta esperando para ti." She's always ready to go with Gera and me...we stole her for the day, even though we were somewhat limited by the rains. In the end, we ate more...Chuckie Cheese pizza. Tokens and gaming. She's never forgotten that place since the first time we took her 3 years ago.

Only now, she can say, enunciate clearly: CHUCK E CHEESE. And this time, I don't think it was 'the world' to her as it was the first time. A sign...we're aging and so is she. We are bracing ourselves for a Quinceañera; we only have about ten years left...yikes!

5 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Aw, reminds me of when my nephews were little.

tangobaby said...

What an adorable little peanut... she looks like a lot of fun and full of love and happy energy!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

what a sweetie!

given some of the quinceañeras I've seen best start preparing now!!

I think I've seen celebrations that outdid weddings!

what is it about chuck e cheese? most kids love them, but they put me into a state of sensory overload in about 5 minutes. a couple weeks ago ms t and I went to a party at one for another friend, she was enamored and asked if she could have her party there next bd....we had a good reply handy, and said since her bd is in july the backyard is a much better place than chuck e cheese to wit she agreed! whew! that was close....

flawsnall said...

@Susan: she has been in my life since she was a wobbling ball with a pooching pamper. She clings to me like glue and I love it.

@Julie: she is a joy. and it's exciting to here her now speak whole English phrases. she *is* a happy charm...always has been.

@Kimy: yep! we're saving a little at a time. we're trying to brace ourselves. and i laughed out loud because some Quinceanera are more than a wedding. it's soooo that serious! ...we think she's outgrowing/grown Chuckie's...she still loves the gaming though...ahhh time flies too quickly...but we're making a good most of it. it always looks like you and ms t do as well!!

lettuce said...

she looks like a honey

sounds like a lovely day