Friday, April 17, 2009

!goodness gracious!

. . .

Been off for a tad. Gera and I were doing last minute tax prep and mailing---HIS! The sad part is he had to pay $93.00. And my long time free-at-the-library-tax-preparer (wish I could adopt him as my grandpa) said, "Well, I gotta say, if Gerardo doesn't boost his carpenter/vendor income within the next year or two, the Government's gonna label his work mere hobby." We thought it was funny at first, but have thought about it every since...two days ago...and now find it serious.

Luckily, it's not too difficult to find people who want work done to their homes, new cabinets built from scratch for their kitchens, or tile floors. The stairs were a rare request. We hope to pushpushpush for something like this again and PR it to the max. The aquarium is coming along fine, but we're selling it at the market...we guess that counts. The most important lesson we learned this tax season about being self-employed...we realized artwork is limited where claiming income is concerned. It's so not fair...

1 comment:

ArtSparker said...

Oh, I know this song. Can you take a sample of Gera's work to the flea market, labelled "not for sale", see if anyone bites? There's a blogger who is a carpenter who gives advice, I know, possibly that brings him work.