Saturday, March 14, 2009

Water Ghosts by Shawna Yang Ryan

. . .

April 2009



I cannot be any more fortunate than I already am to have not only a best friend who is the world to me, but a best friend who is a writer and with whom I had the pleasure to 'college with.' If you do one thing this spring/summer, it must be to read Water Ghosts. This book will set a third vision into your perspective about American history, love, loss, and that thing we now know of called 'living in the margins.' In a subtle yet powerful approach, Shawna has introduced a pure setting, and what I mean by 'pure' is the little California nook of a town called Locke--as a subject setting, it was practically a virgin one. Whereas it was difficult to imagine early 20th century Locke, what it must have been like, Water Ghosts creates a fine, crisp image. Along with a fluent imagination and a careful, sensitive look at Delta history, Shawna gives us a small, untouched place, rich with great story-telling. She unfolds Water Ghosts into a tiny little masterpiece that leaves one with a deep, curious nostalgia about 'a' future, in the end.

What is the story about? Penguin best announces and describes its new literary gem.

Penguin's synopsis of Water Ghosts

It gives me so much delight to be able to recommend this beautifully, brilliantly written contribution to America's canon. And I am so proud to see my friend grow as a writer--even more, I am elated to see her cling to her dream--the same one she often spoke of 'back when'...it's really happening, Ryan!

For upcoming readings and book tour announcements, The SF Chronicle gives a list. For a more personal look, you can get the scoop and details at Stone, Ink, Brush and Paper.

I hope all of my SF/Bay Area/Sacramento/Davis peops and my new blog friends, buy Water Ghosts AND attend one of the readings....the experience is yours to grab.

And by the way, I'm not just writing all this because she's my best-bud, the book is an excellent, entertaining, intelligent read! One of my favorite angles in the novel is, of course---the prostitution. I have always been fond of prostitution as a subject and the characters in the novel give a whole new meaning to what prostitution is about, how it happens and shows the impossibility to stereotype or categorize them for their professions. We all have a 'calling' and at times, we don't have a say in how we will earn our living. Finally, I will say my favorite character is bluish, aqua-ish, or a mix of these with a mix of smokey gray and with that, I can't say more---we can *all* agree that when people spoil it, you just want to kill them.

Happy trekking my girl--you know I'm proud of you...no words necessary...

8 comments:

lilaphase said...

Congratulations to your friend. This looks like an amazing book.

Shawna Yang Ryan said...

Thank you, Renee! I wish I could see *you* at one of the readings too!

ArtSparker said...

Wow, a lovely couple of days for you...I will see when there's a reading in my area.

Wildeve said...

This is very exciting. I have the book on my Amazon wish list. It sounds wonderful.

Jessicambay said...

That is so cool! I'm going to check out the reading on April 22nd.

Tammie Lee said...

Very exciting for your friend to have a new book out. It sounds interesting and I love the title. Thank you for your visit!
Tammie

milly (elephants&redwoods) said...

Sounds interesting!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

sounds like a wonderful book! look forward to reading it - I love being transported to different places and times.....