Monday, March 9, 2009

typos & grievances

. . .

funnytypos.com

Wikipedia says it best:

A typographical error (shortened as typo) is a mistake made during, originally, the manual type-setting (typography) of printed material, or more recently, the typing process. The term includes errors due to mechanical failure or slips of the hand or finger, but excludes errors of ignorance. Before the arrival of printing, the "copyist's mistake" was the equivalent for manuscripts. Most typos involve simple duplication, omission, transposition, or substitution of a small number of characters.

Though the term "typo" excludes errors of ignorance, it is common to find it used as a euphemism to describe instances of poor spelling, punctuation, or grammar, such as accidentally typing a homophone.

Okay, none of this is good news, remember, I teach at a community college--yikes!

But,

fortunately (no disclaimer, really), my profession far extends my -of late- mishap to make lots and lots of typos in my emails and my blog comments. I typed an email to my step-mom the other day and part of it read: "Glad ---- and you and in touch" --- that was supposed to be *are* in touch----on wildeve's blog tried to clean it up and oh my god--it's really bad when everyone is trying to point it out by repeating the word more than many times in mouse's floral post tried to clean it up--i got it guys--repetition not necessary but i deserve it to an extent... another birthday wish to kimy...

and then...

there was one post i wrote something like "the latest word i screwed up was 'worse' when....jesus help....there was word right before that one i typed wrong.

I thought having a home computer, a little privacy, way more so than I get at the college or the library would help---hasn't! And to make matters worse, I skimmed through a blog book at the library, a book about blogging, that said something like if you make a lot of typos people won't love you anymore. Luckily, I love blogging for what it means: freedom, expression, showing a crumb of personal life to the world.

But I also like a typo from time to time, it shows my hectic (yes I meant to use that as a noun) and proves Oscar Wilde so wrong. He wrote..."a writer can survive anything but a typo." I beg to differ. A writer can survive anything but a pencil with a too-worn down eraser, a hacker, or even worse...a pen that skips ink.

What else?

4 comments:

ArtSparker said...

The devil is in those details...I'm sure people won't love you any less with typos.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

to rephrase an oft used expression:
"typos happen"

and a/s is correct - no one will love you any less because of a typo or two or trhee

to typo is human to forgive divine.....

;)

lilaphase said...

I really hate when I post on the homeshool loop and then realize there was a typo, because I know all the mommy teachers will find it.

Wildeve said...

I peel your fain, I really do. And still love you.