Sunday, March 8, 2009

toni morrison

...

In November, it's my turn to facilitate a book club reading at the library. I'm starting off with Sula by Toni Morrison. Check out this clip...she is one of my favorite females, one of my few heroines...

not a black eye

Later, for a second lead, I might do Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee.

My last read, Delicate Edible Birds and Other Stories by Lauren Groff was good. It's an interesting piece if you like variety. Each story offers a very distinctive plot--this has much to do with the time periods which are set in "way back" to modern time; beautifully written characters that live in their respective times appropriately so, very convincing. Subjects vary from one another in the most distant. I did tend to wander a bit while reading a couple of the stories, but I'm sure this all had to do with me and in no way reflects on the author's ability to hold her readers, solidly, from beginning to end. 3.5 suns recommend, bravo for the cover.

1 comment:

ArtSparker said...

I've had some good discussions in book groups, and have enjoyed reading Toni Morrison's books (back when I used to read more). If at the library, I assume the primary purpose is not imbibing red wine (I'm thinking of an old Malcolm in Middle episode).