Tuesday, February 24, 2009

from my center

students hard at work

This week has been hectic beyond hectic, but rewarding for my students, for me. I have seen everything this week from literature essays on "Sleepy Time Gal," "Kansas," "The Lottery," and so on to economics essays on the boom of Blockbuster.

students composing

It's the time in the semester where students have received their teacher's comments on their first papers. Most come in smiling while others come in for the first time with that "what happened?" countenance. The latter is usually the group that hoped they could make it through the first writing assignment without help. And to tell the truth, I admire this and was the same during undergraduate studies.

getting it together

One of our instructor's, an English composition 1 & 2 teacher--just nearing completion of her doctorate degree threw students for a loop this semester---the infamous Bloom's questions. Instead of the writing the mundane traditional essay: 3 literary elements = good thesis = 5 body paragraphs, she decided to do the right thing, have students write critical analysis essays...as a result, students are all over the place, buzzing around like little lost bees (bee scene not pictured) wondering what this means and what that means, how to determine literal meaning v. figurative meaning, life's application....but it seems I have spent the majority of my tutoring talking about plot summary v. analysis. The difference....but....regardless, I always take something away from these budding little heads and I'm sure I give them a whole lot back. They keep asking "why aren't you teaching our class?" I find this so endearing and encouraging.

8 comments:

Monotributo said...

que lo que? que decí negra que notentiendo un carajo

flawsnall said...

@ monotributo: puedes usar el tranductor. gracias por me llamaste 'negra' asi soy.

Monotributo said...

no tenes porque negrita, y no seas susceptible que de donde vengo en Pluton, nadie se ofende por su color de piel

flawsnall said...

@ monotributo: tengo gusto del negrita y de la est conocidos no en ofendido lo más menos posible. le dije asi soy, y me gusta!

lilaphase said...

Cool! Seems to be buzzing with life and creativity!

notmassproduced said...

I can see those students are lucky to have you around.

ArtSparker said...

So interesting, because the whole literal/figurative thing is tied in politically to me - that is, a common agreement in the public sphere(until the wheels came off recently) that if you said something really emphatically that it somehow took the place of the deed. The difference between plot summary and analysis, and literal and figurative seems like something that would be subsumed in critical thinking - that is, not just as related to literature.

How's that bird book? I like the cover design.

SunMie said...

You must do a fantastic job! Encouragement goes round :)