Saturday, January 10, 2009

what else can you do with bacon?

Now, for sure, I've heard and seen it all. If you thought bacon was only for consumption (poor pigs), think again and then again.

A recent article from the New York Times Papercuts reports on the so-called bacon bookmark myth. I asked one of the more mature librarians his take and 'Urban Myth' is precisely what he called the claim and said he heard of this back in the 70s. Myth or not, it makes for good fodder. I cringe at the thought of the grease from bacon, the addictive smell, soiling crisp book pages.


January 8, 2009, 10:35 am
Librarian, There’s Some Bacon in My Book
By Jennifer Schuessler



A few weeks ago in the Book Review, Henry Alford wrote about strange things found stashed (and smashed) inside books, from money and photographs to baby’s teeth, insect corpses and pieces of superannuated bacon.

Bacon. Really?

Out in the blogosphere, there seems to be a lot of skepticism about the bacon bookmark meme — or “urban legend,” if you prefer. The most detailed discussion I could find, a 2006 essay on the aptly named site Bibliobuffet, mentions numerous sightings of errant breakfast meat in libraries from Florida to Nebraska (the earliest known bacon-in-books sighting was in an Omaha library) to Washington State and beyond, but no first-hand accounts from librarians, let alone testable lab samples of “book jerky.”

“I have never heard directly from a librarian who has found bacon” in a book, Farley — who claims to have a collection of more than 5,000 bookmarks — said in an email message. The closest she came, apparently, was an interview with the creators of the library comic strip Unshelved, in which they talked about hearing first-hand from librarians who had found bacon. (Alas, the interview no longer seems to be available online.)

So, readers, where’s the pork? Have you ever found (or put) any meat products in your books?

(P.S. If you lust for a bacon bookmark but don’t want to leave a grease stain, or kill a pig, you can always knit your own.

I will say that one time Gera and I found $4 pressed into an old, hardback copy of Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet. It's still there. We actually purchased the book with a dollar profit from a secondhand store. I hope in my future tenure as a library assistant I don't ever discover bacon in a book.

But hold on to your hair:

Just when you think the idea of bacon in a book reached an all new high--- there is such a thing as crocheted bacon! I love this lady's crochet website because she crochets just about any darn thing you can imagine! Anything! Even severed fingers.

No need to try to adjust your screen or look closer, the first pic is the actual crocheted bacon. This takes the cake like nothing else and is just brilliant. I crochet, but I certainly don't have these creative crochet-fabulous genius genes.






Check Out This Crochet Site Even if You Don't Crochet. I see why she calls it Monster Crochet. She Bad

1 comment:

ArtSparker said...

Now it's in desserts. What's up with that? I think when things start separating from their original legitimate uses and transmogrify it means civilization is in deep trouble...