Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20, 2009 -- a humble lion



Today is surreal. What do I like about our new President...his intelligence and that extreme ability not to get his undies in a bunch over others' remarks that have nothing whatsoever to do with his ability to lead the country. I like the calm nature about him, but I also sense a great deal of confidence and innate ability to protect. My favorite characteristic about President Barack Obama is his diversity. In him, I see a miracle that we, Americans, made happen together. I see every culture, creed and color. I like that his mother is white and he was raised by white grandparents and I like that his wife is the color my daughter was. I like that he is opened to dialogue about his father, the departure. I like that his face will restore Americans' ability to travel internationally and be welcomed (again). I don't think Americans will ever be revered or idolized internationally. Those days are over. I like that he has a squeaky clean track and is scandal free. I like the way he will handle the fabric of America (sin arrogance, sin greed, sin cockiness, sin 'i am god'). I like that he chose cabinet people who make up and represent a variety of us, which is all of us, which is America. To me, President Barack Obama represents health. I know for some it seems scary to have a President with his creed and background, a President with his name, but I am so proud of us all for becoming tired, for becoming open-minded, for trusting, for choosing and voicing the need to be different, the need to put on a new suit. I think he will maintain many of the traditions of past presidents, but he will do so under our say, our eyes, in our presence, not behind doors, not behind fabrication, not behind lies, not behind manipulation. He won't keep us out of the know. I like that he is honest and has been from the get. He will be a lion. Humbly so.

6 comments:

lilaphase said...

Beautifully spoken.

I love that when I want to say, 'see, look what happened when you ran the country your way, nahh, naa, naa."

He inspires me to be better than that and leave the pettiness behind.

California Girl said...

thoughtfully expressed...and I love the title of your blog.

ArtSparker said...

A good day to be an American.

milly (elephants&redwoods) said...

GO OBAMA!! Thanks for sending me that link the other day, I will promise to check it out asap. happy inauguration!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

with a august 4th birthday, calling president obama (I just love saying that) a lion is more than metaphor!

I love his calm and ability to respond and reason instead of react and attack.

Eva said...

As a European, I am very happy that America now has an intelligent President, because the status before was a disgrace for all intelligent Americans, and I know there are millions of them. Obama knows about foreign countries and different cultures! I think this is most important. As a Russian proverb says: "Rather give me a clever enemy than an avid fool to assist me." May he live 100 years!