Friday, January 23, 2009

cooking + desire = happy couple

X O X O X O X O X O X O X O X O X O X O X O X O X O X O X O X



When Gera and I argue, it's almost always over cooking. The irony is I come from a family of cookers--my mother, my grandmothers and my great auntie all cooked, were always in the kitchen when I was growing up. I do remember that whenever I tried to tip toe up and around to my Big's arms, hands, and elbows, she'd shush me out of the kitchen and back to my books. I never understood, until later, why she didn't want me in the kitchen. She wanted me to get my education. A lot of that had to do with them (my grandmothers) being domestic workers. As a result, I cook, but I don't always know what I'm doing. I don't necessarily like it at a time I should and to make matters worse, I don't always feel up to it---the kitchen.


However...

This past week amidst a busy time for both Gera and myself, I decided to make one of his favorites: chili rellenos filled with queso fresco, served in tomato caldito. I've made them before, but this time I prepared them with utmost patience and I actually wanted to cook (always makes food taste better, and dishes turn out near perfect--when you feel like cooking).



I went to Whole Foods and carefully selected their best organic poblanos, organic red eggs, and some other good stuff. I couldn't help but take a bunch of beautiful chards. Made those the next day. I am learning that in order to continue to shop at Whole Foods, we need to budget for it. Prices are jacked way the hell up. But when it comes to putting healthier foods into our bodies, this becomes unimportant.



I am also learning that my other half is correct--it is better for us, health wise and economically so, to eat in eat in eat in. I'm still on the wagon for now, but I do protest from time to time. The most important part of all this is a lesson that a good home cooked meal makes a happy couple.


mom&daddy - 1966

5 comments:

SunMie said...

As you say, cozying instead of consuming and investing more time than money into a meal can be well worth it - enjoy!

ArtSparker said...

Nice post. A very lazy meal is to chop up greens similar to those pictured and cook them up with some gyoza (I get them at Trader Joe's, they come frozen). Put a little soy sauce and broth in the water when you boil them, and put the gyoza in a few minutes before the the greens..

lilaphase said...

I totally agree that food tastes better when the cook feels like cooking.

I loooove that picture of your parents!

Avid Reader said...

eating healthy leads to feeling so much more alive.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

chili rellenos are one of my favorite dishes also. whenever we are in fort worth we head to benitos and inevitably that is what I order.

we have a fairly decent mexican restaurant here which do a fairly good relleno....

I admire you for preparing them, they are mightily involved, but worth the effort! now I know what I want to have for dinner tonight, but I think I'll try and talk f into heading to mi pueblo - it's been a few weeks since we ate out, so I think I can make a good case for a splurge.

the photos are wonderful....both present and past....