Thursday, January 15, 2009

a 1958 princess



In this fabulous family archive I had to post is my great grandma (QT), my mother in the middle, my grandma (Big) is to the right. Little girls love princess dresses--my Ruby, when she was just barely 1, loved toddling around in a little fairy dress. And when Gera and I sell items at a local, gigantic flea market, there is not one single time that we don't see little girls dressed as fairies or princesses. And almost all of them love to have the princess theme in their rooms.

I love this picture because my mother is an example that princesses were around during the 50s, although this is supposed to be her birthday dress for turning 12 years old.

Of our six maternal generations, the one missing is my great great grandma who was not fond of photos at this time or any time. Of course, Jenn (my daughter) and I weren't even in the stars----yet. I am so grateful that I knew all my grandmas very very very well. I was fortunate to live all of my young life and a great deal of my adult life with them---as written in one of my on-going book chapters, I could be found, most of the time, around their knees or in the depths of their armpits.

5 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Being visual, I see the two adult women as curving in one direction (towards the past?), while the little girl tilts in another.

I fell in love with an ugly rubber halloween mask as an 8-year-old, my mother bought it for me after much nagging but then"disappeared" it.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

love the photo and the post...

Squirrel said...

Really special. Love these old photos. They speak volumes.

Coffee Messiah said...

Nice post and great to have the photos in your family still.

Thanks for stopping by last week too ; )

Cheers!

Tomás Serrano said...

I like too these old pictures about american people. Nice post. I like too the old postal cards.