Monday, October 20, 2008

gary snyder--a clumsy farmer

Tonight, in the library, I read the October 20 issue of The New Yorker and found a great article on none other than Gary Snyder, a landmark poet, a professor from my alum, University of California, Davis. I don't to know much about him other than the little bit I've read in the past and beautiful but few things Shawna has mentioned. Dana Goodyear did an excellent job in covering snippets of his life---because it's a big, full one. She titled her article Zen Master--Gary Snyder and the art of life. Here was some of my favorite sections from the article:

He likes a boilermaker at dinnertime (a shot of bourbon and a tall glass of beer) and, on occasion, the bullfrogs from his pond. 'I follow the Joy of Cooking,' he says. 'You've got to skin them and brine them overnight. She recommends rolling them in bread crumbs and frying them.'

Okay, remember my post on my Auntie and the rabbit she sent me to the grocery store to buy? Snyder and my aunt might be kin!

The article continues:

He finds that vulture feathers make the best pens for calligraphy, and collects them when he hikes. Some nights, he takes a blanket and a thermos of sake and a star map, walks along a gravel riverbed not far from his house to a spot among the mounded diggings life by the gold-mining ventures of the past two centuries, and, by the light of a red torch, works on the constellations.

...

I do my best as a teacher and I'm kind of a clumsy farmer.

There is a great photo of Snyder and Ginsberg. Good article read!

No comments: