Wednesday, November 21, 2007

one day of no whining

This Thursday, I plan to stop whining about my dirty carpet, our costly van, the fact that I haven’t bought a new pair of shoes in 3 years or a new bra in 5, our expensive home improvement projects, our maxed out Home Depot credit card, the fact that we don’t have a computer or the internet at home, my students’ life stories that require so much energy and attention (aside from teaching), the upcoming elections, discrimination and ethnic profiling, my dried out sliver nail polish, an upcoming doctor’s appointment, gas prices, a corner with Gerardo's woodworking magazines strewn about, his dremmel saw in the kitchen, my daughter’s and dad’s absence, and some other stuff that I complain about or whine about daily. Maya Angelou says it’s not good to whine because a brute is always lurking to take advantage. But that’s not what sparks my one day of no whining.

If you don’t have a strong stomach, don’t look at the following photos. If you’ve already looked, I’m sorry, but after seeing this pics taken in Africa, I decided that for one day, Thursday, I need to stop and be thankful, grateful so much, for so little much.

a buzzard waits for a sick child to die
a child searches for food from the anus of a cow
a young boy bathes in urine

Is this really Africa today?





The photos are borrowed from globusz.com.

No comments: