Friday, October 26, 2007

and yet

a black woman smile

This clip was sent to me by my dear friend, Lori. I was quite taken away by the words, the poem. And sometimes it seems that people would rather forget...but if truth could be tangible, it would be equivalent to the aggressive nature of weeds. The video also sparked interest and look back, again, to the women in my family.


Here is a newspaper article printed up (click on the pic to read it) about my great great grandmother, Lavada Toy LaRue Thompson (the 1st generation of our six), who at the time was 105 years old and who also, much of the time refused to smile. She's holding her last birthday cake and looks rather angry, but its mere pride.


Even in a previous photo of her at 97 years old, what appears to be a smile is only effort not to. Her hairstyle for the most part was always the same. This was her only favorite sitting place, even when I was a young girl. The chair evolved, but the curtains...well...they never changed.

Unlike this maternal matriarch, my great grandmother was caught many times smiling, unlike me and my mother, she loved people. My grandmother, who had two gold teeth--one at the top--one at the bottom, smiled often, particularly after a third can of Pearl beer. Later it was Schaffers.

It is difficult to make a black woman smile, but there are so many of us who do so because life is really rather good. Aside.

1 comment:

Spring said...

pretty amazing at the time of her 105th birthday only one of her four children were deceased. When you're 105 it's likely your kids are pretty long in the tooth as well! You have good genes, sis.
spring