Tuesday, September 18, 2007

in the shadows


Finally, I am sending out drafts of my novel Bottom Rail, which has grown in the shadows. I’ve been writing this book since 2001. It started out as a short story in Max Byrd’s class and has fanned out to 293 pages----a long haul and a trying experience. The truth about my writing is that it is very slow and I have always tried to mirror the sound of my words in passages to Thelonious Monk’s cacophony and dissonant movement---every element that makes up the South is dissonant, and perfectly unexpected.

I don’t anticipate any immediate takers, but I do hope to raise some brows and spark some interested wagoners! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Spring said...

How exciting! Much luck to you and may your work be well recognized!

Shawna Yang Ryan said...

Good luck! Wow, that's great, you sneaky novelist you!